Thursday, November 22, 2007

My IBM Dream - Chapter 2: T-squares and some...

I went to Don Bosco Technical Institute, Makati (DBTI) for all my pre-collegiate schooling. For those of you who don’t know DBTI, it was the first educational institution that instilled technical classes for the youth apart from excellent education as early as 1st year high school.

During freshman year, we were taught how to use computers, how to design houses and furniture, how to operate machine tools, repair cars, create circuit boards, it goes on.

We were taught how to write the infamous “Hello World” program and basic arithmetic programs in the 1st quarter of freshman year in our computer class.

Programming starts out with understanding what logic is and how logic is the basic element of good programming. I always finished 1st in our exercises. In fact, 80% of my classmates copied my programs and passed it off as their own.

Come sophomore year, we were challenged by our computer teacher to create mid-complex programs such as calculators with hexadecimal functions, mathematical value converters, games such as Pacman and Tetris. It was really fun.

Before the sophomore year ended for any DBTI student, he has to take a technical examination. This technical examination basically determines what your forte will be come junior and senior year. The results also state the technical shop (your major) you will end up in for the 2nd half of your high school life in DBTI.

The majors (Shops) were as follows:

  1. Computer Shop – where I want to be…
  2. Industrial Design Shop – my second choice… I’m an artist you know…
  3. Electronics Shop – circuit boards and gizmos… Wow!
  4. Electrical Shop – well, kind of ok… but I like electronics better
  5. Machine Shop – good thing I didn’t end up here or else I’d have foul odor
  6. Automotive Shop – I don’t want to be a grease monkey!
  7. Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Shop – oh come on!!!

I took the test. I felt I aced it. I know I did.

Results came a few weeks later and it was announced to the class. I was so happy and audacious because I knew my class adviser would say I’m for Computer Shop. Names were linked to shops… Some of my classmates smiled, many were saddened, a few were eyes open and opted to face the music (Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Shop, oh come on!!!)

Then my adviser called out my name, and said “Industrial Design!” I smiled.

Wait... Did I hear that right? Industrial Design… Shucks!

After the call-out, I immediately approached my adviser and pleaded my case. I mentioned to her that I believe I did a hell of a great job in the exam and I demanded a recount (forgive me for my passé line).

He said, it wasn’t whether I did great in the exam. It was how I answered the exam that pointed me more of the artist/designer type rather than the logic-driven applications developer. But, she said, she’ll try to do something about it.

Well, the school year ended and no notice came.

The next calendar school year started and the first thing I did was buy a new t-square and more mechanical pencils and drafting pens…

No comments: